Sunday 17 July 2011

On moustaches

I attended the National Recycling Awards in London last week as a judge of the competition and a guest of the organisers, Materials Recycling Week. All of the judges had their pictures posted up on the video screens running through much of the evening and a good time was had by all.

We were entertained by the extremely amusing Marcus Brigstocke who was very funny, unless of course you were Scottish or French or came from Norfolk in which case you probably would not be quite so amused.

Marcus took to the stage looking wonderfully hirsute as you can see in the image below. He said that he had grown this moustache and beard for a part in The Railway Children and seeing as this was not his usual appearance, he had been very nervous about doing his standup act with this new look. Until he saw the picture of me, that is.



Marcus leapt from the stage and ran to my table to shake my hand telling me that my moustache was wonderful. There was a lot of laughter - I hope with me, and it was all a lot of fun.

I then met the inimitable Ranjit Singh Baxi who like me uses moustache wax. His is home made. He told me how he makes it but I am not sure if I am allowed to share the recipe as I think it is a family secret.



For the record, my own moustache now needs two coats of wax each day. For more years than I can remember I used the American Pinaud wax which was perfect. Then they changed the formula and it was not quite firm enough.














The only product I could find as a replacement that worked was called Hungarian Moustache Wax, bought from Bremen. And because the Germans don't take credit cards it is a real pain to get hold of. The only problem with the Hungarian product is that it is white.





So, I put a coat of the new Pinaud wax over the top to get the colour right.  The Pinaud wax comes with a free plastic comb which is pretty useless. They are also not recyclable.
Clubman Moustache Wax, Brown, 0.5 oz












So now you all know how the Straight moustache is manicured.
Those who were expecting a post about seaweed will have to wait a day or two longer.


For the truly devoted, there is a picture of Marcus and me on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nra2011/5939148635/

No comments:

Post a Comment